Adding Chapters to a Video
Chapters make it easier for viewers to go to a specific point in a video. This is especially helpful for longer form videos. Rather than scrubbing through the video, a chapter menu can be used to jump to a specific point in the video.
Let's start by looking at a working sample of chaptered video. Play the video below and mouse over the icon to display the chapter menu.
How it works
Chaptered video requires:
- A Brightcove player - no special properties, styling, or plugins required
- A WebVTT file describing the chapters of the video - for example:
WEBVTT 00:00:00.000 --> 00:00:30.000 Lionfish 00:00:30.000 --> 00:00:54.000 Anemone 00:00:54.000 --> 00:01:25.000 Clownfish 00:01:25.000 --> 00:01:54.000 Sea Horse 00:01:54.000 --> 00:02:23.000 Crab 00:02:23.000 --> 00:02:35.000 Dolphins
In the sample above, note that each chapter entry consists of two lines:
- The start and end time for the chapter, in the format:
hours:minutes:seconds.milliseconds(for example: 00:02:23.000) and is strictly parsed; numbers must be zero padded if necessary
- The chapter title that will appear in the player chapter menu - note that only plain text is supported, and the title must not contain the substring
The WebVTT file can be associated with a video in any of three ways:
- Upload the WebVTT file using the Ingesting WebVTT Files document in the Dynamic Ingest API information.
- Add the URL for the WebVTT file in the Text Track properties for the video in Studio - be sure to set the
- Reference the WebVTT file URL in a
<track>tag to the in-page embed code:
<video-js data-video-id="4426931680001" data-account="1752604059001" data-player="default" data-embed="default" class="video-js" controls> <track src="/assets/webvtt/sea-marvels-chapters.vtt" kind="chapters" label="Chapters" srclang="en"> </video-js> <script src="https://players.brightcove.net/1752604059001/default_default/index.min.js"></script>
Add the WebVTT file for the chapters using the
<track> tag to the in-page embed code:
<video-js data-account="3676484086001" data-player="df134dc9-c997-4464-a69c-e36acf59aef7" data-embed="default" class="video-js" controls> <track src="/assets/webvtt/sea-marvels-chapters.vtt" kind="chapters" label="Chapters" srclang="en"> </video-js> <script src="https://players.brightcove.net/3676484086001/df134dc9-c997-4464-a69c-e36acf59aef7_default/index.min.js"></script>
The following graphic shows how the chapters menu in the player is generated from the webVTT file:
Publishing the player
You can use either the iframe or in-page embed - chapters will work the same in both.
Since you will need to add a
track tag to the
video for the .vtt file, you will need to use the in-page embed for chaptered video.