Integrating Campaign with Single Sign-On
The Campaign module provides the ability to track viewing activity when the viewer has logged into a system using single sign-on (SSO). In this scenario, viewing data is not sent to a marketing automation platform. With a Campaign SSO configuration, SAML attribute(s) are passed to Campaign to identify the viewer. One common use case for this would be internal training videos. Employees might be required to login to watch videos and then their viewing activity can be tracked and then viewed inside the Campaign module. The Campaign Module will store up to 500K event views per connection. Once the limit has been reached, it will start purging old events.
To enable Campaign for use with SSO, the following steps are required:
Configuring SSO software
The steps to install and configure SSO software is outside the scope of this topic. The SSO software should be configured so users have to authenticate themselves before they can view Video Cloud videos. The SSO software should be configured to expose some user attributes so they can be accessed from an external application. For example, this Okta SSO configuration exposes three attributes,
In this topic, the
Configuring an application to access SSO attributes
Setting up the connection
Follow these steps to setup the connection between Video Cloud and your SSO provider.
Establishing the connection between Video Cloud and SSO
- Open the Campaign module and click Data Connections in the left navigation.
- Click Add New Connection.
- Select SSO as the integration.
- (Optional) Enter a Connection Name.
- Click Connect.
The SSO connection is now set up and ready to use.
Configuring the integration
Once the SSO connection has been made, you can configure the integration.
- Click the
In this topic, the Campaign SSO integration will be used to track viewing activity. Click Save.
- By default, the Connection Status will be Enabled. The Connection Status determines if Video Cloud video engagement data is saved.
- Enabled - Data is collected
- Disabled - No data is collected (integration is disabled)
To remove the integration, click Disconnect. The bottom of the page will list all Campaign-enabled players, the connections they are associated with and the associated lead forms.
The Campaign module supports multiple connections to marketing platforms. Click Add New Connection to configure additional integrations.
Additional options for identifying viewers
If you don't specify a value for the SSO Property when the integration is configured, you are responsible for identifying viewers. The Campaign module needs the following information:
|Description||URL Parameter||Embed Parameter||Value|
|What’s the GUID (needed for view event tracking)||
This parameter can be passed in via a URL parameter or through the player embed code. For viewer tracking to occur, this parameter should be passed as a URL parameter on the page that is displaying the video.
samlAttributes and it has a property called
nameID. Campaign will attempt to read that and use its value for the custom GUID.
Creating a Campaign-enabled player
Video engagement data will only be tracked when you are using a Campaign-enabled video player. For information on creating a Campaign-enabled Brightcove Player, see Creating a Campaign-enabled Player.
Viewing video data
There are several options available for viewing video data when using an SSO integration:
- Viewer Activities (Events) - Provided as part of the Campaign module, this option can be used to view video data inside the Campaign module. For information, see Viewing Player Events in the Campaign Module.
- Viewer Profiles - Provided as part of the Campaign module, this option can be used to view video data based upon a user profile value inside the Campaign module. For information, see Viewing Viewer Profile Information.
- Export Data - Provided as part of the Campaign module, this option can be used to export video view and lead data. For information, see Exporting Campaign Data from the Campaign Module.
- Audience API - The Audience API can be used to programmatically retrieve video view and lead data. For information, see Overview: Audience API.